Why Our Current Healthcare System is Woefully Inadequate
The Integrative Medicine Model of Healthcare
Many mental health disorders carry risks for physical disease.
- Depression is a risk factor for many serious and life-threatening diseases, including heart disease, addictions, chronic pain, diabetes and obesity.
- Illness diagnosis can result in an anxiety disorder
- Chronic mental stress can cause muscle pain, fatigue, inflammation, and impaired immunity
- Stress can result in impaired self-care, such as not eating, exercising, or sleeping properly, increasing risks of disease.
- Depressed mood can interfere with heart rate variability or the ability of the individual to put the brakes on and stop anxiety-related physiological arousal from spiraling out of control.
- PTSD has been linked to addictions, smoking, heart disease and autoimmune diseases.